Tuesday 10 November 2009

Dress is finished!

I have embroidered on this dress because It was given to us (Bem, Charlie, Emma and myself) by some charitiy workers just outside archway station.
Charitie workers were doing a task of exchange, we gave them some sketches in exchange for the dress, they had been given the dress from a lady whom had exchanged it for some buttons. I like the fact the dress has its own throwaway feeling, and trying to change it from something with no known history to something precious and with meaning.

This was one of the first times we all sort f left the stuidio at the same time and were all getting to know one another. The dress was given at a cross point in time so I wanted to do something special and personal with it.
I was going to embroyder things we loved about London on it, but no one else seemed keen to add anything to it so I started with a knife and fork as the class only seemed at the time to gather and talk at lunchtimes (and I LOVE food).
Hand stitching seemed more personal and appropriate.
Red and blue becuse it is the colours of the univerity of the arts london (CSM). http://www.suarts.org/shop/index.php?page=product_details&product_id=790
And the map of the northen line as it is the bloodline to my new london life.
I have also used a coathanger from our still life project, renforcing my whole junk:treasure idea.

This piece seems too brutal at the moment.
This is why I moved onto the pillowcase idea.






No comments:

Post a Comment